Caring for women and newborns takes a special kind of nurse. The type of nurse that builds relationships with their patients, from the youngest children to women of all ages. That’s the type of nursing professional you’ll find at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. As a nurse in Women & Infants Services, you’ll enjoy a collaborative, family-centric environment dedicated to providing compassionate, top-rated care and the highest degree of patient satisfaction.
Working in Women's Health offers labor and delivery nurses, OB/GYN nursing specialists, Advance Practice Nurses and more exciting opportunities to grow and practice at the leading edge of their field. Learn more about the opportunities available.
As an integrated perinatal and neonatal center, we’re known for our expertise in the treatment of high-risk pregnancy, fetal abnormalities, and a host of women’s health services. But what we’re remembered for is our care. No matter which specialty area you choose, you’ll have exciting opportunities to learn and grow in a nurturing, collegial setting.
- Antepartum: This 21-bed unit offers opportunities for nurses focusing their nursing skills on women with complicated pregnancies prior to delivery. Barnes-Jewish is known for its expertise in caring for high-risk pregnancies, including multiple births, premature and post-mature births and diabetic pregnancies. Our unit also works closely with the local Share organization to support those mothers that suffer a loss.
- Labor & Delivery: Our Level III obstetric care has been internationally honored for its quality and safety in caring for both uncomplicated and high-risk patients. Nurses are offered specialized education in high-risk obstetrical nursing through a perinatal fellowship program.
- Special Care Nursery: The Level II Special Care Nursery is a highly specialized 26-bed unit, providing exceptional care to babies requiring 24-hour care. Our nurses care for premature and full-term infants in an intensive care unit setting. The staff also works closely with St. Louis Children’s Hospital neonatologists and provides 24-hour delivery room triage coverage. Specially trained nurses in this unit average 15 years’ experience.
- Assessment /Well Baby Nursery: Located on the Mother Baby floor, this area provides medical assessment of each baby. Barnes-Jewish Hospital promotes rooming-in for mother and baby; however the Assessment Nursery will care for the baby of a mother that is too sick or unable to care for her baby prior to discharge. Our unit also offers lactation consultant services, and is home to a staff highly skilled in postpartum care.
- Women’s Health Center (OB/GYN Clinic): With approximately 24,000 patient visits a year, the OB-Gyn Clinic offers health maintenance and preventative services for women of all ages. In addition, our specialty clinics are cased-managed by a nurse who is responsible for patient flow, follow-up and any special needs. Our specialty clinics include High-Risk Obstetrics, Diabetic Pregnancy, Teen Pregnancy, Gyn-Oncology, Colposcopy, Uro-Gyn and Family Planning.