Interventional radiology procedures are performed by a specialized team lead by an interventional radiologist. IR procedures are image-guided, minimally invasive, targeted treatments that offer less risk, less pain, and less recovery time as compared to surgery. The Interventional Radiology department at Barnes-Jewish Hospital is one of the largest, most comprehensive IR departments in the United States.
Common Interventional Radiology Procedures Include:
Uterine Fibroid Embolizations
Dialysis Access Declotting
Venous Angioplasty and Stenting
Transjugular Intrahepatic Portal
Systemic Shunt (TIPS)
Scheduling Your Interventional Radiology Procedure
IR appointments are scheduled M-F from 7:30am to 2:00pm. IR procedures are by appointment only. Typically your referring physician will schedule an appointment for you. Some procedures can only be scheduled by your physician. If you need to reschedule your IR procedure or if you have been asked to schedule your appointment yourself, please call Radiology Scheduling at 314-362-7111 or 877-992-7111, M-F from 7:00am to 5:30pm. Please have your physician's order and any pre-authorization information required by your insurance or health plan provider in hand before calling the IR department to make an appointment.
Before Your Interventional Radiology Procedure
- Please arrive 45 minutes prior to your appointment to allow for registration time.
- Please bring a photo ID (driver’s license or state ID), insurance card(s), and a completed Medication Record with you to your appointment.
- Most procedures require certain lab work and imaging prior to the procedure, which will be ordered by your referring physician.
- Take your medication as you normally do, unless your referring physician has told you otherwise.
- For any procedure requiring sedation: Do not eat or drink anything for 6 hours prior to your exam. Unless your referring physician has told you otherwise, take your medication as you normally do with small sips of water. Please be sure to arrange for a ride home. Also, if you use a CPAP or BiPAP machine at home, please bring it with you to your appointment.
- Be prepared to discuss your completed Medication Record, allergies, past medical history and any previous surgeries.
- Women should always inform their physician and the IR technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.
- A nurse can explain the procedure and answer any questions.
Length of Procedure
Procedures vary in length. Check with your referring physician or call the IR department at 314-362-6681 to learn how long you can expect your procedure to last and if you will need to stay overnight.
After Your IR Exam
You will be given care instructions after your IR procedure from a nurse.
Questions About Your IR Procedure
Please call the IR department at 314-362-6681 with any questions about your IR procedure.
The interventional radiologist will report the results of your IR procedure to your referring physician’s office within 24 hours. Your physician’s office will discuss the results with you.
About Your Bill
You will receive two bills for your exam:
- The hospital bill includes the cost to cover equipment, supplies, and technical personnel. For questions, call Hospital Billing at 314-362-0710.
- The radiologist’s bill covers the professional interpretation of your exam. For questions, call Mallinckrodt Institute (Washington University) Patient Accounts at 314-935-0500.
To save time please download, print, fill out, and bring to your appointment.