In 1950, Jewish Hospital became the first in the city to have a radioisotope laboratory.
Medical research has always been integral to Jewish Hospital's mission, having a chief of research since 1919. Through the years, Jewish Hospital physicians have been known especially for their research in gastrointestinal disorders, rehabilitation and cardiology and cardiac surgery.
In 1955, the medical and surgical divisions at Jewish Hospital received association status at the Washington University School of Medicine.
In the 1950s, the hospital and staff expanded, adding inpatient beds and specialized clinics. During these years, Barnes added another first: first hospital in the country to paint the walls green -- thought to be more soothing and easier on the eyes than the traditional bright white.