In October 2013, the Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Heart & Vascular Center established a Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC). The PFAC is made up of patients, caregivers and staff members who strive to enhance the patient experience for current and future patients.
The Heart & Vascular Center’s mission is to achieve excellence in patient care, research and education through seamless integration of heart and vascular care. We are committed to promoting heart and vascular health through education, prevention and treatment of heart and vascular disease. We are seeking past and current patients of our Heart & Vascular Center and their family members to join our new Advisory Council.
- Creation of communication/educational materials:
- ICU flash cards
- Discharge checklist
- Unit brochures and transfer from ICU brochure
- Heart & Vascular folders
- Pre-arrival resources for patients
- Each area of Heart & Vascular is represented in the quarterly meetings, including the in-patient and out-patient staff
- Participate in multiple committees, meetings and project teams
- Unit Practice Councils for each unit
- Mentor program
- PFAC volunteer program
- Provided input on design of Cardiothoracic ICU waiting room
- Serve as consultants for Heart & Vascular as well and the Patient Experience Team
As a member of the Council, your responsibilities will include:
- Attending 4 meetings per year at Barnes-Jewish Hospital (January, April, July and October)
- Serving a 2-year term with an option for extending another 2 years
- Providing feedback on past, current and future patient or family experiences
Please fill out the form below to your comfort level. If you are selected as a candidate for the Council, one of our Advanced Practice Nurses will contact you with more information.