An Integral Part of Hope and Healing
The Arts + Healthcare program reaches thousands of patients, their caregivers and family members, and hospital staff. The program helps them find strength and renewal in the midst of stress, and sometimes sorrow,
through enjoying or creating music, poetry or visual art. The mission of Arts + Healthcare, supported by gifts to The Foundation for Barnes-Jewish Hospital, is to embed the arts as an integral part of hope and healing.
Arts + Healthcare supports patients, caregivers and hospital employees like:
Arts + Healthcare Program Offerings Supported by Gifts to The Foundation for Barnes-Jewish Hospital include:
- The patient who finds that knitting a hat makes chemotherapy more bearable.
- The patient who, when painting, thinks of herself as an artist instead of a patient.
- The staff member who is rejuvenated in an arts grief workshop.
- The family member who has a moment to relax as a guitarist plays gentle music at Sundays at Siteman.
- Live music performances in the Center for Advanced Medicine first floor lobby (schedule of musicians to be posted soon).
- A gallery in the hospital showcasing exhibitions of art by Barnes-Jewish community members and professional artwork on many floors.
- An “art room” that offers ongoing
art projects including drawing, painting, journaling, clay modeling and
- Art therapy activities for patients.
- Renewal workshops for staff, which offer creative experiences as respite to
If you are a musician and interested in volunteering your time to perform at Barnes-Jewish, please contact Arts + Healthcare Coordinator, Sarah Colby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to make a charitable gift to support Arts + Healthcare, please visit our online giving form.
If you have any other questions or comments, please send them to GivingBarnesJewish@bjc.org.