Musculoskeletal (MSK) Radiology specializes in diagnosis and treatment of bone and joint medical conditions.
Common MSK Procedures include:
- Nerve root injection
- Facet block injection
- Bone Marrow Aspiration & Biopsy
- Bone & Soft Tissue Biopsy
- Large & Small Joint Injection & Aspiration Vertebroplasty
- RF Ablation
- Cryo Ablation
Scheduling Your MSK Procedure
MSK appointments are scheduled M-F from 7:45am to 3:00pm. These procedures are by appointment only and are scheduled by your referring physician. To reschedule an MSK appointment, please call Radiology Scheduling at 314-362-7111 or 877-992-7111, M-F from 7:00am-5:30pm.
Before Your MSK Procedure
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment to allow for registration time.
- Please bring a photo ID (driver’s license or state ID), insurance card(s), and completed Medication Record with you to your appointment.
- Most procedures require certain lab work and imaging prior to the procedure, which will be ordered by your referring physician.
- Take your medication as you normally do, unless your referring physician has told you otherwise.
- For procedures requiring sedation: Do not eat or drink anything for 6 hours prior to your exam. Unless your referring physician has told you otherwise, take your medication as you normally do with small sips of water. Please be sure to arrange for a ride home. Also, if you use a CPAP or BiPAP machine at home, please bring it with you to your appointment.
- Be prepared to discuss your completed Medication Record, allergies, past medical history, and any previous surgeries.
- Women should always inform their physician and the MSK technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.
- A medical professional will explain the procedure and answer any questions.
Length of Procedure
- Procedures vary in length. Check with your referring physician or call the MSK department at 314-362-2825 to learn how long you can expect your procedure will last.
- You may need to stay an hour to several hours after your procedure in recovery.
After Your MSK Procedure
You will be given care instructions after your MSK procedure from a medical professional.
Questions About Your MSK Procedure
Please call the MSK department at 314-362-2825 with any questions about your MSK procedure.
The MSK radiologist will report the results of your procedure to your referring physician’s office within 24 hours. Your physician’s office will discuss the results with you.
About Your Bill
You will receive two bills for your exam:
- The hospital bill includes the cost to cover equipment, supplies and technical personnel. For questions, call Hospital Billing at 314-362-0710.
- The radiologist’s bill covers the professional interpretation of your exam. For questions, call Mallinckrodt Institute (Washington University) Patient Accounts at 314-935-0500.
To save time please download, print, fill out, and bring to your appointment.