Summer 2021 applications closed. Check back for Winter 2021 applications.
The Barnes-Jewish Hospital Nurse Externship offers a learning experience for you to participate in direct patient care while receiving expert direction from nurse preceptors.
During this 11-week paid immersive experience, you can expect to gain clinical skills, confidence in your practice, and mentor connections to support your career development.
In this program you will:
- Increase your clinical competence and confidence while working alongside experienced front line multidisciplinary teams.
- Gain guidance and mentorship through learning opportunities and connection with preceptors to foster your growth.
- Increase your professional relationships with trained professionals opening doors for roles after you graduate.
- SCRUBS: Detailed information regarding uniforms will be communicated prior to beginning the program. Externs are required to purchase their uniforms and appropriate footwear.
- HOUSING: Lodging will be provided at no expense and is in close proximity to campus.
- PARKING: Parking is provided at no cost in the employee parking. Shuttles are available if needed.
- SALARY AND BENEFITS: You'll be compensated $14/ hour with no benefits for this position. Benefits available to all BJC employees after hire.
When will applications be reviewed?
Completed applications received through 3/26/2021 will be reviewed as they are received.
When will I be notified if I am accepted into the program?
Notification of acceptance will be sent out by email by 4/17/2020. Please ensure email listed on application is accurate.
Are there employee benefits with this position?
This position is paid, but benefits such as paid vacation are not included.
Can this nurse externship program help me get a job after I graduate?
Qualified candidates will have an opportunity to interview for a position during the externship.
Are there ways to get to know other nurses at BJC HealthCare?
BJC HealthCare offers a wide variety of groups you can join during your time in the externship. Groups you can join
I haven’t been to St. Louis. What is there to do?
St. Louis Attractions
You're eligible for the BJH Nurse Externship if you:
- Application Open: March 1, 2021
- Application Close: March 26, 2021
- Externship Dates: May 24, 2021 - August 7, 2021
- Are enrolled full-time in an accredited baccalaureate nursing program.
- Have an anticipated graduation date in the December or May after completing the externship.
- Hold current basic life support (BLsS) for health care providers from the American Heart Association.
- Have a current GPA or higher
- Complete the online application
- Applicants will receive a confirmation email once submitted.
- If you are a candidate for the externship program, you will receive a request to submit the following:
- Completed externship application form
- Letters of recommendation
- An essay focusing on why you wish to attend the Nurse Externship Program (no longer than two single-spaced pages)
- A current school transcript (unofficial is accepted)
- Proof of a valid American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS card