Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- 1 c. finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 c. hot cooked rice (microwaveable for speed or parboiled)
- 1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 c. frozen sweet corn
- 1 15 oz. can less-sodium black beans or pinto beans
- 2 Tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- In a medium skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onions and jalapeno peppers until softened.
- Sprinkle cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add rice, crushed tomatoes, sweet corn and black beans, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with broiled fish, chicken or pork.
Mexican Rice and Beans makes a great side dish for a grilled chicken, fish or pork entree, or use as a burrito filling, with a sprinkling of reduced-fat cheese.