Services are offered to anyone with diabetes, including those who are newly diagnosed with the disease, or have been living with diabetes for several years. The expert staff can provide valuable information, whether you take insulin, oral medication or are diet-controlled. Through education, you can become an active participant in your own diabetes care.
Through the Diabetes Self-Management Education Program, you'll receive an individual, personalized plan for health from certified diabetes educators who have special expertise in helping people learn how to manage their diabetes. The program is based on national standards of the American Diabetes Association. The experienced staff of certified diabetes educators (nurses and dietitians) works with your physician to give you and your family the tools and information necessary to take charge of your life — because knowledge is the key for successful management of your diabetes.
Successful diabetes management is a team effort that includes you and your family, your physician and your diabetes educators. In the Diabetes Center, you have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with a physician, nurse, dietitian or all of them, based on your individual needs. Family members or friends are welcome during your visit. At your appointment, a diabetes educator will:
- Review your medical history and daily routine
- Individualize the educational plan based on your needs and personal goals
- Educate you on care topics such as hypoglycemia, blood glucose monitoring, taking medications properly, sick day care, foot care, meal planning and carbohydrate counting
- Work with your insurance company to obtain any special equipment you may need
- Identify ways to integrate diabetes care into your daily routine
- Facilitate communication with your physician and other members of your health-care team about your diabetes care
- Provide specialized education in intense insulin therapy, insulin pumps, diabetes and pregnancy
- Provide follow-up care to support you in achieving your diabetes care goals