At the Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Heart & Vascular Center, our vascular surgeons have led the way in treating all types of vascular disease. Our expertise in minimally invasive endovascular approaches and vascular surgery brings patients to us from Missouri, across the Midwest and around the world. If you are experiencing vascular problems, we can help you.
Vascular Care: Why Choose Barnes-Jewish Hospital?
At the Heart & Vascular Center, you have access to dedicated vascular surgeons who offer:
- Breadth of expertise: We have the region’s largest vascular program, offering care for all types of vein and artery problems. We provide routine care, advanced options and second opinions. For some specialties, such as thoracic outlet syndrome, people come to us from around the world. See the vascular diseases we treat.
- Unique array of options: We participate in multiple clinical trials to advance the management of venous and arterial problems. Find out about vascular surgery options.
- Experience and training: Because we are an academic medical center, you can be certain that we use the latest treatments and techniques. We often train physicians from other medical centers on new vascular surgery devices and techniques, such as endovascular care for aneurysms. Learn about vascular surgery at Barnes-Jewish.
- Coordinated evaluation and treatment: We coordinate your care with any other necessary providers. Often, you have a complete evaluation at a single visit. You can get all the appropriate studies on one day, including a visit to the vascular lab, CT scan or MRI, and appointments with the vascular surgeon and cardiologist, if needed. Read more about the vascular surgery patient journey.
Advanced Testing and Diagnosis at Our Vascular Laboratory
When you or your primary doctor suspects a vascular problem, we can provide answers. Our vascular diagnostic laboratory is accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL).
The vascular laboratory performs over 20,000 studies a year to evaluate arterial and venous problems. This testing provides the full range of arterial and venous evaluations for patients with carotid artery disease, peripheral artery disease, venous disease and aneurysms.
We use the latest techniques to accurately diagnose arterial and venous disease. Your test results help us direct the management of those problems with the most appropriate therapies, from medication and lifestyle changes to minimally invasive or open surgeries.
The lab provides noninvasive evaluations for vascular disease, including:
- ankle-brachial index (ABI) testing, to check for reduced blood flow in the legs by comparing the blood pressure in your ankles to the blood pressure in your wrists while you are at rest
- treadmill testing to measure ABI pressure after walking
- ultrasound evaluations using sound waves to evaluate your circulatory system and detect blockages or blood clots
- duplex evaluations of arterial and venous disease using sound waves to gather information about blood flow to detect valve problems and assess blood flow
To make an appointment with a Washington University vascular specialist at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, call 314-273-7373.