The dedicated liver transplant team members at Barnes-Jewish and Washington University focus only on patients undergoing transplant. Each person on the transplant team is an expert in a different area of transplantation. Together, they bring their expertise, knowledge and understanding to each patient in our program.
- Hepatologists – physicians who specialize in gastroenterology (treating the digestive system) with further emphasis on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the liver. Hepatologists will help manage your condition before and after transplant surgery.
- Transplant surgeons - physicians who specialize in performing liver transplant surgery.
- Transplant anesthesiologists - physicians who specialize in intraoperative care of liver transplant patients.
- Nurse coordinators - nurses who coordinate all aspects of your care before and after the transplant. The nurse coordinator will provide patient education, will coordinate the diagnostic testing and follow-up care, answer questions and deal with any problems as they arise.
- Social workers - professionals who will help your family deal with many issues including lodging and transportation, finances and legal issues.
- Financial coordinators - financial experts who have extensive experience working with transplant patients. The financial coordinator will arrange and clarify the financial aspects of your care before, during and after the transplant.
- Pharmacists - transplant pharmacists have extensive experience with medications for transplant patients and will teach you about and monitor your medications while you are in the hospital.
- Dietitian - a dietitian will help manage your nutrition both before and after transplantation. The dietitian can help you with any special dietary instructions or diets to manage co-existing medical complications such as diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Primary care physician - Your primary care physician is a critical part of the transplant team. You need to maintain a relationship with your primary care physician since they will be a vital part of your general care. Your transplant specialist and primary care physician will work together to provide continuing care to you following transplant.
For additional information or to begin a liver transplant evaluation, call 314-TOP-DOCS (314-867-3627) or toll free [Dynamic_Phone_Number].
- Other team members – professionals who will evaluate you before and after transplantation and will make recommendations to the team. These include, but are not limited to, hematologists, infectious disease specialists and psychologists.