At the Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Transplant Center, our specialists have performed more than 1,700 liver transplants, helping restore patients’ liver function and health. In fact, Washington University surgeons completed the first successful liver transplant surgery in Missouri.
Our extensive experience gives us a unique depth of expertise in providing expert treatment and compassionate care to patients who need a liver transplant.
Liver Transplant at Barnes-Jewish: Why Choose Us?
At the Transplant Center, we are able to provide transplantation to patients with complicated conditions such as end-stage liver disease, hepatocellular cancer (HCC) and cholangiocarcinoma. Our specialists collaborate to provide each patient with the most effective, personalized care possible. Our goal is for you to get back to living and enjoying a healthy, productive life.
Features of our program include:
- Experienced team: Our transplant specialists, including hepatologists (liver specialists), surgeons and clinical nurse specialists, have dedicated their careers to treating patients who need a liver transplant. Together, we provide integrated and comprehensive care for patients before, during and after a liver transplant. Meet our liver transplant team.
- High volume: Our team has successfully performed more than 1,700 liver transplants. This high number means we deeply understand the unique needs of patients with all types of liver disease. Our experience ensures you receive the comprehensive, responsive and personalized care you need. Find out more about the liver transplant process.
- Leading-edge therapies: We are able to offer patients access to clinical trials available at Washington University School of Medicine. Clinical trials are research studies that test promising new drug therapies and innovative treatments before they are available to the general public.
- Convenient, accessible care: We offer outreach clinics for patients who live outside the St. Louis metro area. At the clinics, our doctors provide initial appointments and follow-up care for patients with liver failure. They also offer consultation to patients and referring physicians. The clinics are available once a month in Cape Girardeau, located southeast of St. Louis, and Hannibal, in the northern part of Missouri. Read more about what to expect.
- Highly ranked gastroenterology program: Our gastroenterology program is ranked among the top programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. We achieved this recognition because of our innovative treatments and advanced clinical and research expertise. Our dedication to research means we are able to treat patients who have digestive disorders, such as liver disease, with the latest, most effective treatments possible.
- Multi-organ transplantation: Our transplant specialists can successfully treat patients who need multi-organ transplantation such as liver-kidney and liver-heart. Learn more about the transplants we offer at the Transplant Center.
Comprehensive Care for Liver Failure
Liver failure affects many different functions of the body. The liver specialists at the Transplant Center have the expertise and resources to provide patients with the full range of liver failure treatment options.
The liver failure treatments we offer include:
- Adult liver transplant surgery
- Treatment for hepatitis C and other conditions leading to liver transplant
- Transplant for certain patients with liver cancer, including hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and cholangiocarcinoma
- Split-liver transplant, with published results demonstrating the effectiveness of a partial donor liver in adult patients
For more information about the liver transplant program at the Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Transplant Center, call [Dynamic_Phone_Number].