At the Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Transplant Center, our expert team of liver transplant specialists has decades of experience caring for patients before, during and after the transplant surgery.
Meet Our Liver Transplant Team
Your liver transplant team includes specialists from many different specialties. We work together to coordinate your care, ensuring that the entire process is seamless and tailored to your needs.
The liver transplant team includes:
- Hepatologists: Hepatologists specialize in gastroenterology (treating the digestive system) with further emphasis on diagnosing and treating liver diseases. Hepatologists help manage your condition before and after transplant surgery.
- Surgeons: Transplant surgeons are physicians who specialize in liver transplant surgery.
- Transplant anesthesiologists: These physicians specialize in caring for liver transplant patients during the transplant operation, ensuring their comfort before, during and after the procedure.
- Nurse coordinators: Nurse coordinators organize all aspects of your care before and after the transplant. They educate you about the entire process, coordinate diagnostic testing and help make sure you receive all necessary follow-up care. Many of our nurses are CCTC certified (certified clinical transplant coordinator).
- Social workers: Social work professionals will help you and your family handle issues such as lodging and transportation, finances and legal issues.
- Financial coordinators: Our financial experts have specific experience working with transplant patients. The financial coordinator will arrange and clarify the financial aspects of your care before, during and after the transplant, including details of your insurance coverage.
- Pharmacists: Our dedicated pharmacists will monitor your medications while you are in the hospital and at clinic visits.
- Dietitian: Our dietitians will help manage your nutrition before and after transplantation.
- Primary care physician: Your primary care physician is a critical part of the transplant team. They will work with our team to provide continuing care to you following transplant.
- Other team members: Our team also includes hematologists (blood disease specialists), infectious disease specialists and psychologists. These professionals will help with your transplant evaluation and care.
Learn more about liver transplant.
For more information about the liver transplant program at the Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Transplant Center, call 855.925.0631.