At the Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Transplant Center, our specialists offer pancreas-only transplant to carefully evaluated patients with type 1 diabetes. Our goal is to provide relief from diabetes complications and help you live a longer, healthier life.
Our specialists have performed nearly 200 pancreas-only transplants, more than any other medical center in Missouri. Research shows that programs with such a high volume have better outcomes than programs that perform fewer pancreas transplants. Our three-year pancreas patient survival rate is more than 95%.
Benefits of Pancreas-Only Transplant
A pancreas-only transplant can help you live a longer, healthier life. It can make insulin shots and pumps unnecessary for patients with some specific kinds of type 1 diabetes. These kinds of diabetes include:
- Type 1 diabetes with hypoglycemia unawareness (the inability to tell when you have low blood sugar)
- Brittle or uncontrolled diabetes with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or hyperglycemia (high blood sugar)
In addition, having a new pancreas reduces the long-term health risks associated with type 1 diabetes, including:
- Kidney disease, or damage to the kidneys that prevents them from properly filtering waste and fluid from the body
- Retinopathy, or disease of the retinas that can cause vision loss
- Heart disease and heart attack
- Neuropathy, or nerve damage
Our Approach to Care for Pancreas Transplant
We provide a team approach at every step, from testing and evaluation of your eligibility to long-term follow-up care after surgery. Dedicated transplant nurse coordinators, social workers, psychologists, pharmacists, surgeons and nephrologists provide thorough care throughout the transplant process.
This team approach results in better short- and long-term outcomes and a reduced risk of infection. Ongoing patient support and education is also an integral part of our program.
Learn more about the pancreas transplant process at our Transplant Center.
For more information about pancreas transplant or to schedule a transplant evaluation, call [Dynamic_Phone_Number].