Each patient’s insurance coverage is different.
Medicare/Medicaid and private health insurance pays for some or all of:
- Evaluation/testing of the recipient and donor;
- Surgery of the recipient and donor.
You will review your personal financial and insurance situation with the Barnes-Jewish Hospital financial coordinator who will be part of your transplant team.
Possible out-of-pocket costs
For additional information or to begin a kidney transplant evaluation, call
- Out-of-pocket costs may include parking, hotel, gas, childcare, Medicare/insurance co-pays or deductibles, etc.
- Transplant drug costs for the first year are generally the highest.
- Typically covered at 80 percent by Medicare Part B for three years (longer if you qualify for Medicare due to age or disability)
- Monthly drug costs will vary and can range from $0 to $3,500 per month.