At the Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Heart & Vascular Center, our highest priority is to help you live a healthier, longer and more active life. Our heart team – which ranks among the top 15 hospitals nationwide for cardiology and heart surgery according to U.S. News & World Report – provides targeted treatments and exceptional care every step of the way.
Our accomplished heart failure team is highly skilled, with years of experience caring for some of the most complicated cases of heart failure. Our surgeons are the only team in Missouri with the expertise and capability to perform advanced procedures, such as implanting left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) to help the heart pump blood, and providing heart transplants.
Our Heart Failure Team
At the Heart & Vascular Center, you may receive care from heart failure experts including:
- Cardiologists: These doctors have specialized training and expertise in diagnosing and treating heart failure.
- Heart surgeons: Our surgeons have undergone rigorous and extensive training to become experts in performing surgery on your heart and blood vessels. They are involved during every step of the treatment plan and will answer any questions you or your family might have. This along with their expertise leads to better outcomes for our patients.
- Interventional cardiologists: Interventional cardiologists have additional training in using minimally invasive procedures to diagnose and treat heart conditions. If your recommended treatment includes cardiac catheterization, angioplasty or stenting, an interventional cardiologist will provide some of your care.
- Experienced nurses: Many of our heart failure program nurses have over 20 years of experience caring for patients experiencing heart failure, and many hold master’s degrees. All of our heart and vascular nurses have STEMI certification, which means they have specialized training in care for patients who have suffered a massive heart attack.
- Dietitians: Trained in nutrition, dietitians can advise you on a heart-healthy diet.
- Social workers and case managers: These specialists work on your behalf to get the care, equipment and support you need.
Comprehensive, Personalized Care for Heart Failure
We take pride in providing patients and their families with exceptional patient care. We work to:
- Help you understand your diagnosis, treatment options and home care
- Coordinate your medical care and appointments, so you have less to worry about
- Understand your medical and non-medical needs to provide the support you need
Nurses at Barnes-Jewish Hospital have received the highest national recognition for excellent nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, an honor held by only 5 percent of U.S. hospitals. Patients consistently rate our Heart & Vascular Center nurses among the best in the nation.
To make an appointment with a Washington University heart failure specialist at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, call 855.925.0631.