The cardiac intensive care unit (ICU) at Barnes-Jewish & Washington University Heart & Vascular Center has a long history of delivering high quality, dedicated care to critically ill cardiac patients. Employing the latest technology with compassionate concern, we care for the largest number of cardiac patients in the region and deliver excellent patient outcomes.
The ICU is designed specifically for the care of postoperative cardiac and thoracic surgery patients. The 21-bed unit is staffed by trained intensive care physicians, fellows in intensive care and house physicians, who are available at all times to speak with patients and their families. Skilled ICU nurse practitioners, nurses, respiratory, physical and occupational therapists, pharmacists, dieticians, social work, and pastoral care personnel provide a full continuum of care.
- Referral center for the most complex cases from around the Midwest
- One of only 17 hospitals — and the only one in Missouri — with heart attack survival rates better than the national average
- Continuous quality improvement efforts
- Dedicated nurses and experienced staff provide 24/7 coverage
- Immediate access to a team of heart failure specialists and cardiac surgeons
- The region’s deepest experience with cardiac assist devices
- Nationally recognized expertise in interventional cardiology, electrophysiology and adult congenital heart disease
- Designated level 1 trauma and respiratory care unit
- Advanced cardiopulmonary support in the form of ventricular assist devices and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
Visiting Patients in the ICU
We understand the importance that loved ones can play in the recovery of critically ill patients. At the same time, rest is a priority and our caregivers will work with you to determine the best way to spend time with your loved one while not disturbing the healing process. Family and close companions are can visit any time of the day or night, unless their visit hours have been modified by their physicians for health reason. Visits are restricted to two people at a time. Children under the age of 12 are not permitted in the ICU for their own safety.
There are many local hotels that offer reduced rates and shuttle services to and from the hospital. Please ask the nurse for information. Also, visitors can stay at Barnes Lodge, which is located close to the hospital and has a shuttle service. The Lodge has cooking and laundry facilities. Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. Nightly cost is $25 per person. Call 314-652-4319 for more information.
To make an appointment with a Washington University heart or vascular specialist at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, call 888.969.4806.