The first step in any successful treatment is fast, accurate and complete diagnosis. The Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Heart & Vascular Center specializes in advanced cardiovascular imaging and diagnostic services. Our clinicians take a collaborative approach with referring physicians, radiologists, surgeons and cardiologists to assess each patient’s situation and develop the best course of treatment.
Advanced Cardiovascular Imaging
The Heart & Vascular Center has the most sophisticated imaging equipment available and the experience and expertise to apply it and interpret results. Our resources include:
- 64-slice, multi-detector CT scanner
- 3-D ultrasonic visualization of cardiovascular anatomy, including aortic aneurysm
- Stress echocardiography to identify significant coronary artery disease and heart muscle disease
In addition to providing innovative diagnostic procedures, ongoing research is helping to bring advanced diagnostic equipment into the operating room. This combination of techniques gives surgeons clearer, real-time images of the critical heart and vascular structures in their care.
Cardiac Diagnostic Laboratory
The Heart & Vascular Center is nationally recognized for the wide variety of services it provides, for the expertise of the faculty and for their sub-specialization with uncommon conditions. By far the largest echocardiography laboratory in the region, our lab performs and interprets approximately 25,000 echocardiograms per year.
Clinical strengths include:
- cardiac resynchronization therapy clinic for identification of advanced heart failure patients who would benefit from biventricular pacing
- advanced center for diagnosis and follow-up of patients with primary pulmonary hypertension
- FDA-designated center for percutaneous placement of aortic and mitral valves using echocardiography before, during and after the procedure
- center for percutaneous placement of closure devices for patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defects utilizing intracardiac and trans-esophageal echocardiography
- center for advanced expertise in strain rate echocardiography for evaluation of regional and global ventricular function.
- state-of-the-art echocardiographic equipment necessary to be the leader in the field
To make an appointment with a Washington University heart or vascular specialist at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, call [Dynamic_Phone_Number].