As a nurse in one of our surgical care divisions, you’ll be providing our postoperative patients the finest care available, in one of the most supportive environments you’ll ever experience in your nursing career.
- Lower patient-to-nurse assignments
- A collaborative environment supported by a clinical manager, lead charge nurse free of patient assignments, an advanced practice nurse, case managers, physicians, and physical, occupational and enterostomal therapists
This is an environment that is state-of-the-art; one that combines individual expertise with a multidisciplinary approach so we can offer the most advanced treatment options and treat cases that range from routine to complex. Here, you'll have endless opportunities to learn and grow as a member of one of our renowned teams:
- Orthopedics (7300/7400) is in a tertiary care center that utilizes state-of-the-art techniques in limb salvage, minimally invasive options for injuries, advanced surgical repair to correct complex deformities, and highly specialized surgical intervention for trauma. Orthopedic nurses at Barnes-Jewish Hospital discover diversity in the types of cases that present in the operating rooms and on the floor each day. Orthopedic nursing at Barnes-Jewish Hospital provides specialized patient care in all areas of orthopedics.
- General Surgery deals with post-surgical patients, including trauma and vascular overflow.
- Hepatobiliary, encompasses pancreas, liver, and gallbladder surgery patients. It is an acute in-patient division, providing pre and post-op care.
- GI Surgery, a 38-bed unit providing surgical and non-operative care for acute and 23-hour colon/rectal patients.
- ENT/Plastic Surgery and Observation Unit, ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Here, nurses are heavily involved in patient teaching and use their assessment skills to care for post-surgical patients after reconstructive procedures.
- Surgical/Burn/Trauma ICU. One of the the top 10 SICUs in the nation, this unit provides intensive care for surgical patients with complex conditions as well as multiple trauma and burn victims.
- Our Surgical Observation Unit provides intensive care for patients undergoing kidney transplants, carotid endarterectomies, post-ICU liver transplants, major abdominal and hepatic surgeries, and post-ICU treatments.
- Kidney/Liver Transplant Surgery performs more than 100 kidney transplants each year, and is rated among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- Our Thoracic Surgery and OU (7100) is used as a model for thoracic units around the world, and is recognized for their expertise in lung transplants and other surgeries.
- Part of our Level 1 Trauma Center, Trauma Surgery is on the leading edge of care. It makes this the ideal learning setting, with opportunities for exposure to state-of-the-art treatments, equipment trials and new medications.
- Urology Surgery provides post-surgical prostatectomy and nephrectomy care, as well as treatment for patients with infections, renal stones, ileoconduits, nephrostomy tubes, and stents.
Whether you are a new graduate or experienced professional, you'll find the kind of supportive learning environment that can help you make the most of your career.