Neurological disorders (conditions caused by abnormalities in the brain or nervous system) that either are present at birth or develop after birth can have a devastating impact on your child. These conditions require specialized intensive care.
In partnership with the Women & Infants Center, the Neurocritical Care Program (NCP) at St. Louis Children’s Hospital provides that care. We diagnose, treat and compassionately care for critically ill newborns and children with neurological disorders.
Expert Care for Newborns, Infants and Children with Neurological Disorders
Depending on the type of congenital neurological disorder, our neurologists may be able to detect such conditions before the baby is born. We can diagnose some neurological disorders at birth, and some when a child is older and begins to experience symptoms. Some neurological disorders develop after birth because of an infection, traumatic injury or immune disorder.
Whether your child is diagnosed with a neurological condition during pregnancy, at birth or later, we provide high-quality care to maximize your child’s development. At the NCP, your child will benefit from our team’s close monitoring and support, with:
- Level IV Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU): As a Level IV-designated NICU, we provide the highest level of newborn care from a team of highly trained specialists. Our NICU is the only one in the St. Louis region connected to labor and delivery. This close location minimizes the transport of fragile babies and also makes it easy for mom and family to visit the baby.
- Top-rated neurology and neurosurgery programs: Our neurocritical care team collaborates with specialists from our top-rated pediatric neurology and neurosurgery programs, ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. This integrated approach means better care and more hope for an improved life for your child.
- Advanced, specialized equipment: We use the latest devices for monitoring your child’s health and providing neurological rehabilitation.
- Team of highly skilled specialists: Our team has extensive experience and expertise in critical care, neurology and neurosurgery and includes:
- Critical care doctors
- Pediatric neurologists (specialists in caring for babies and children with conditions affecting the brain and nervous system, including the spinal cord and nerves)
- Pediatric neuroradiologists (specialists in using imaging such as X-ray, MRI or CT to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the brain and nervous system)
- Pediatric neurosurgeons (specialists in surgery to treat babies and children with conditions affecting the brain and nervous system)
- Specialized nurses and support staff
To make an appointment with a Washington University neurocritical care specialist at the Women & Infants Center, call 314.454.5437.