The Women & Infants Center offers a special program dedicated to the unique needs of younger patients. Our pediatric gynecologists specialize in caring for infants, children and teenage girls.
Specialized Gynecological Care for Children and Teens
At the Women & Infants Center, our specialized team provides compassionate care for the gynecologic needs of girls from birth through high school. Our pediatric gynecologists go over all tests, treatments and procedures with our young patients and their families. We encourage you to ask questions during any discussion and take home our educational resources.
Gynecologists for Teens
The first visit provides an opportunity for adolescents to learn more about their bodies. Our skilled gynecologists can answer questions and reassure teens about their development, health and sexuality.
We provide counseling on abstinence, contraception and pregnancy prevention strategies. Teens can especially benefit from discussing the risks of sexual activity and the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases.
Although our gynecologists focus on preventing teen pregnancy, we also recognize the special needs of pregnant teens. Our Teen Pregnancy Center provides obstetrical services, health education and counseling to pregnant adolescents up to age 17.
Gynecologic Conditions We Treat
Our group of physicians care for young patients who have:
- Birth defects affecting their reproductive organs
- Breast abnormalities, including pain or asymmetry (breasts that have different sizes, shapes or appearances)
- Unusual appearance of the genitals
- Injuries involving reproductive organs
- Signs of early or delayed sexual maturation
We also see patients who are experiencing:
- Abdominal pain
- Chronic genital rashes or itching
- Heavy, frequent or painful menstrual periods
- Irregular or infrequent menstrual periods
- Abnormal vaginal discharge, drainage or odor
- Endometriosis (uterine tissue that grows outside the uterus)
- Ovarian cysts or masses (fluid-filled sacs or solid growths on or within the ovaries)
Testing and Surgery for Gynecologic Conditions in Teens
We evaluate, diagnose and treat a wide range of gynecologic conditions in children and teens. Some of our services for more complex issues include:
- Consultations and reconstructive surgery for birth defects involving reproductive organs
- Laparoscopy to evaluate abdominal masses, pelvic pain and pelvic endometriosis
- Vaginoscopy to assess abnormal bleeding and injuries
- Colposcopy to evaluate and treat abnormal bleeding
- Laser surgery to perform procedures such as tumor and lesion removal
To make an appointment with a Washington University pediatric and adolescent gynecology specialist at the Women & Infants Center, call 855.925.0631.