Prepared Childbirth Class
As your delivery day approaches, you may feel anxious and unsure about what will happen once you go into labor. At this one-day class, taught by the Women & Infants Center’s experienced labor and delivery nurses, you and your support partner will learn:
- What to expect during labor and birth
- Breathing, relaxation methods and natural pain relief techniques
- Medical pain control options including epidurals and other interventions
- About cesarean births (C-sections)
- What to expect immediately after delivery
Breastfeeding is healthy for both baby and mom and promotes bonding. In this one-day class, a certified lactation educator, counselor and registered nurse give new moms all the information they need to prepare to breastfeed. Moms will learn:
- Proper latch techniques
- Proper positioning for successful breastfeeding
- How to establish a good milk supply
- How frequently you should feed your baby
- How to know if your baby is getting enough milk
- How to express milk and store it safely
Our experts also give advice on how to return to work and keep up your milk supply.
Newborn Care Class
The long-awaited day is here, and you’ve brought your baby home. Now what? A registered nurse helps parents prepare for the first few months at home with their new infant. You will learn:
- Basic baby care techniques, including:
- How to bathe your newborn
- How to take your baby’s temperature
- How to prepare formula
- How to safely prepare your home and car for your new arrival
- Signs of illness
- When to call your pediatrician
Birthing, Breastfeeding, and Baby Care
This 3-week series offers everything you need to get ready for your new arrival in one package! Each week covers the basics of a new topic: Preparing for Childbirth, Breastfeeding, and Newborn Care and is taught by an experience labor and delivery nurse, certified lactation counselor, and childbirth educator.
Fee: $75 per family
Our in-person classes follow these COVID-19 precautions to keep you safe:
- Our instructors are screened prior to every class for illness symptoms. We emphasize proper hand hygiene and provide appropriate PPE in accordance with CDC guidelines. We encourage our staff to practice social distancing both in and outside of the workplace.
- Proper masking is a requirement in all our facilities.
- We are limiting our class size to no more than 20 people in the classroom and arranging our classrooms to allow a minimum of 6 feet social distancing from others.
- We are requiring a health screening for class attendees immediately prior to class.
- Our environmental services teams remain focused on CDC protocols to disinfect high touch areas in our facility including classroom tables, door handles and elevator buttons. Any equipment utilized in our classes will also undergo stringent cleaning protocols per CDC guidelines.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout our facility and in the classroom.
- Although food and drink will not be provided, we encourage you to bring your own drink. Vending machines are available in our building, as is a free ice and water dispenser. The drinking fountains are temporarily closed.
- Our classes will no longer take place on our maternity floors and we no longer offer an in-person OB tour at the end of each class in order to keep our inpatients safe.
For more information on the Women & Infants Center facility or childbirth education options, please contact our Women's Health Educator at 314-362-1788.